When Rev Colvile enlarged the chancel of the church during the alterations of 1843, he wrote “The east window of three lights is filled with memorial painted glass, executed by William Holland of Warwick. The centre compartment represents our Blessed Lord in His Kingly Character, and on either side the two Apostles, Peter and Paul. The tracery is filled with a Barcelona Cross and angels bearing shields, with the emblem of our Lords Crucifixion. This window was erected by the trustees of the Bedworth Charity.” The Bedworth Charity was commemorating Rector of Bedworth, Nicholas Chamberlaine. The only image we have of the window is in an artist’s sketch of the 1843 chancel.
During the alterations of 1890, the 1843 chancel was dismantled and re-erected as the present vestry, along with the Chamberlaine window, where if remained for 50 years.
On the night of 15/16 November 1940 stray bombs fell on Leek Wootton. Local resident, Doreen Wright, wrote, “Our own bombs came last night at 2am. … 1st was in Stone House garden – all windows and front door porch smashed and all north and some other windows in Church – Also vicarage roof and stable. Unluckily there’s only a thin skin of soil up there so everything went up instead of being partially absorbed …” (Doreen’s Diary: She Could Not Have Loved More – The wartime diary of Doreen Wright, Published by Leek Wootton History Group, 2012, ISBN: 978-0-9541149-3-0)
It is not known whether some of the tracery lights survived the bomb damage, but the cross in the top centre may match the one in the sketch (see above).